Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bean Town, USA

This weekend the Westchester family loaded into a 747 and journeyed to Boston to visit my brothers: Golden Boy, Johnny Money, and Weezer.

As soon as we arrived in Bean Town, I could feel it in the air that this visit would be one to remember…right down to the discarded condom wrapper and already-been-chewed gum I found under my hotel’s bed. But seriously, our hotel room looked like a crime scene.

On Friday night, my family ate a great dinner at one of the area’s best seafood restaurants and then it was on to a comedy club to catch Craig Ferguson (the current host of “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson”) who was very funny and earned the approval of my mother despite his frequent use of the “F-bomb” and reference to "sexual intercourse." I give Craig’s comedy routine a rousing thumbs up, and yes, I would make out with him.

Then on Saturday, we met Weezer (now a proud freshman at Boston University) at the college book store, and helped him stock up on BU apparel and Starbucks coffee. I scored a very cozy pair of sweatpants out of the deal and plan to wear them every chance I get. Next it was on to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch, followed by a much-anticipated visit to the Body Worlds Exhibit at the Boston Museum of Science.

If you have not heard of Body World, it is a highly controversial, international exhibit whose purpose is to educate people about human anatomy and maybe give them a better understanding of effects their lifestyle choices have on their bodies. It is controversial, because it features the cadavers of deceased human beings-without their skin. I saw the lungs of a smoker and a coal miner. I saw the body of a woman who had been five months pregnant when she died, and the little baby frozen in her womb. I mean, it is nuts-but the thing is, the bodies have been preserved through this process called “plasticization,” and don’t look completely real. Anyway-if you are at all interested in human anatomy-this is a must see….but I would recommend eating lunch BEFORE you go, rather than after. Just a suggestion.

Next, my brothers and I visited some historical Boston sights (i.e. Paul Revere’s “One if by land, two if by sea” Church), before heading to Golden Boy’s apartment in Boston’s Italian North End. If you ever go to Boston, this area is another must-see. From the authentic Italian Bakeries and Butcher shops, to the little old men in lawn chairs on the corners-it is a true cultural goldmine. From the cobblestone streets to the gelato shops on every block, it was like being back in Italy-and THAT is something I can get behind.

Finally, my family and I ate dinner at this AMAZING Italian restaurant near my brother’s apartment called Bacco. I had the special, which was a dish filled with butternut squash ravioli, yellow raisins, diced mango, salmon, fresh shrimp, and a rich cream sauce. As you might imagine, it was like a party in my mouth-and everyone was invited.

On the plane ride home, I accidentally told my parent’s about my lingering debt from this summer’s Europe trip to which my mother (even the optimist) responded with: “You’re never gonna get out of THAT hole.”

Bless her heart.

Now I am back in the office, and wishing I was back in Boston. Sigh. I love my brothers.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters