Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Only 238-days until Christmas…

Little Miss Westchester has hit a new high in bewildered man-fusion (confusion + men + alcohol = man-fusion) and regrets to inform you that she is indeed, very perplexed.

When it comes to the subject of MEN on this blog, I have (for the most part) avoided talking about my crushes. I attribute this to the fact that (being the shameless self-promoter that I am), I have told many of my crushes about the site; and, if by some wild chance they were to actually visit Super Secret Rantings and see that I was writing about them, well they might have thought that I was a little crazy; and even though WE know that is not the case, I just haven’t been willing to take that chance.

But I want to be honest with my seven loyal readers (Hi Mom!...who am I kidding, my mom doesn’t read this blog.) in hopes that by making this exception and talking about my (at times mismanaged) love life that I will somehow gain some insight into the baffling situation in which I now find myself.

After six months of secretly wondering if there could be something more, I finally took the risk and told a friend of mine how I feel about him and our friendship. It wasn’t easy-and it certainly wasn’t fun, but I was just so fed up with the mixed signals I felt he was sending and our hours-long phone conversations that never lead to anything. So when you couple all that with several hours of drinking, you have yourself the perfect storm for an explosive, alcohol-induced confession.

At this point you are all probably nodding your heads in solidarity; because really, who hasn’t let something slip after a night on the town with booze as your guide and the opposite sex (or, if you prefer the same-sex, cough, Rico Suave) as your partner in crime? But unlike discretion-malfunctions of the past, this specific confession was not uncalculated; because, despite the fact that the man in question has never asked me out or called me for anything other than directions, I believed that there was a good chance he was interested too. Besides, as blogging buddy Bruce Dierback once said, “Sometimes you have to take the chance while you can, when you can, so as to not miss out and wonder ‘what if?’ for the rest of your life.”

So Friday night, I spilled the beans.

At first, his silence and slightly defensive manner led me to the conclusion that he was probably not “digging” the “seeds” I was trying to plant in our otherwise “platonic pot” (God I love metaphors); however, when he called me the following afternoon to reveal that he was indeed a little interested, I invited him out with my friends and once again waited for him to make a move. The night went well, and I felt he was finally making an effort to give it a shot; but at the end of the evening when I said good night and asked him to call me, he kind of seemed mad at me. In fact, the look on his face was nothing less than annoyed.

So here I am, three days later and no less confused than I was on Saturday.

What was he expecting?

Frankly, I have no clue why he was annoyed; but after six months of trying to decipher his mixed messages, should I really keep trying to make sense of it? Maybe I am getting it all wrong and maybe I am just making more of a mess out of things than necessary-but I deserve more than this guessing game.

8 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you... I've been in this situation many times before. Why can't men just be clear about their intentions?

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait- that is not my website. I have no relation to the content displayed on those pages. This link is my website.

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, there is no link there. I am an idiot.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Bruce Dierbeck said...

Hey, I have to say, it was nice to see someone else who is in a similar situation to mine. And I hope that now that you've gone and said what you've said, that while you're confused right now, I hope you have no regrets for doing so.

It goes back to something I've been trying to do more of, lately. And it's something I've blogged about in the past. See I'd rather feel lame for failing at something I took a chance on, than to feel that torturous pang you get when after time passes, you regret not taking that chance when you had it. You can bounce back from failure ... that's like a broken bone, it heals. But when you know you had a chance, yet you didn't take it, and suddenly down the line you realize the right move was to have seized it so pass or fail, you'd have known for sure ... man, I don't know about anyone else, but that isn't a feeling I like at all.

And the fact that the next day, he told you he was indeed a little interested ... that means you weren't misguided in taking that chance, and you aren't getting it all wrong as you feared. It's just finding out why there's some sort of obstacle right now, and finding the best way to navigate through or around that obstacle and see if you can make things work. One of you had to take the chance by starting the open discussion on feelings. Now if it's going to work, it's going to be time for him to meet you the rest of the way. You did the most difficult part -- the first step. If you both are single, that's definitely a positive for you both!

I say congratulations on taking that chance ... and hang in there.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Call him. Invite him out for a one-on-one date (do not invite your friends), add alcohol and see what happens.

At least that way it would be resolved and you wouldn't be left with this confusion over "what the hell is happening here?"

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Oh, and nice to see that the Christmas Countdown continues!

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say that you don't call him. He has had 1 million chances, right? It's up to him now.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Little Miss Westchester said...

Hey Peeps,

Thanks for all of your support and advice on this one. So far, I have not heard anything; and, after all of my efforts, it may just be that he has decided to leave things the way they were-which would be ok I guess, I would still want to be his friend.

As Cher once said, "Unless you risk looking foolish you will never have the opportunity to be great," and whatever happens, I will never regret the fact that I had the courage to step up to the plate and take a shot.

You can't live your life from the bench. (yeah baseball metaphor!).

Much Love, Little Miss Westchester

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters