Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday...

Monday mornings bring constant reminders of how little patience I really have.

Coincidence? Maybe. But more likely, I am just tired from the weekend and wishing to God I had another, better-paying job.

This weekend was fairly uneventful, although I did get the opportunity to take in lots of movies and hang out with Hope Valentine’s family at her sister’s bridal shower. Hope kept checking with me to make sure I wasn’t bored; however, as I kept assuring her, any party where the booze and snacks will get an automatic "Little Miss Westchester Seal of Approval" (which looks a little something like THIS, in case you were wondering).

I would also like this opportunity to briefly review some of the movies I watched this weekend. (NOTE: while this is not a good representation of my overall movie-taste, I thought it might be a helpful tool for you next time you are at the video store.) So here they are, in no particular order:

Hoodwinked-Animated Shrek-like fairy tale with the voice talents of Glenn Close, Anne Hathaway, Andy Dick and that big-guy from Seinfeld…Puddy I think his name was. This is a cute little movie that made me laugh a couple of times. It was not, by far, as good as Shrek, both in script and animation-but I might watch it again if it ever comes out on TBS. I guess what I am saying is, I wouldn’t spend money on it, but it is not that bad, and this was probably the only time where I EVER found Andy Dick to be funny….well that and in Old School.

The Family Stone- Sarah Jessica Parker plays the uptight girlfriend of a dreamy Dermot Mulroney. Dermot brings Sarah home for the holidays to meet his crazy family who (big surprise) ends up hating Sarah. I rented the movie thinking it was going to be a funny fish-out-of water type movie; so imagine my surprise when I started crying a half-hour in and didn’t stop for the rest of the movie. I don’t think I would recommend this movie to anyone because Dermot’s family was kind of mean-and I found the whole plot just a little trite and hard to believe. I really wanted to like this movie, but it just didn’t connect.

Copycat- This is an oldie buy goodie thriller about a famous psychologist (Sigourney Weaver) who is tormented by an obsessed serial killed. Holly Hunter and (sigh) Dermot Mulroney play the cops trying to protect her. I like this movie for a few reasons. 1. I love Siugorney Weaver and I think she is an awesome actress. 2. It is smart and scary. I would recommend this movie to anyone seeking a smart scare without all of the Seven-style gore of some other popular crime thrillers.

Ordinary People- This is a very good movie; but it made me cry. Mary Tyler Moore and Donald Sutherland play the dysfunctional mother and father to a grief-stricken Timothy Hutton. Basically, everything in the family is going fine until the oldest son dies in a freak boat accident-then it all goes to pot. This is not the uplifting family-film of the year and I wouldn’t recommend it unless you want a good cry…or to feel a little better about your family life.

Blade: Trinity- Starring a gruff Wesley Snipes as a hybrid vampire who fights, wait for it, other vampires (deep I know), this film was not nearly as good as Blade or Blade II; but was, overall entertaining eye candy. In an effort to shake some life into the third installment of the Blade franchise, the director added Parker Posey, Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds to the cast; and pitted Blade against, who else, Dracula. I guess Ryan Reynolds was funny in this, but I am just so sick of his routine. It’s the same Van Wilder shtick every time, and I have bored of him.

Sleepover- This movie was stupid and I only watched it because there was nothing else on. I realize I am not the target audience for this anyway, but it just sucked. The acting was bad, the plot was asinine, and I can’t help but feel like kids should ingnore this slop and stick to Sixteen Candles. Ug.

Anyway, hope you all are resisting the oxymoron, and having a very happy Monday.

1 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Bruce Dierbeck said...

Oh boy, Ordinary People, now that's a great movie. Not the kind of movie filled with too many laughs, unless you're Robert DeNiro when he's laughing inappropriately loud within that movie theater in Cape Fear. But such great writing and acting. The part of the movie that gets me is when the girl says to Tim Hutton, "Let's have ... a great year. Let's have the best year of our whole lives." And, well, those who have seen the movie knows what happens. I don't care if you're man, woman, or Sasquatch, that sequence is gonna choke you up a bit.

Now Sunday afternoon, I watched an advanced screener copy of the direct to video sequel, I Will Always Know What You Did Last Summer, courtesy of my job. Oh yes, they made a third one. And as the title gets more extravagent, the storyline dissipates toward the opposite direction. You see, instead of leaving hand-written "I Know ..." notes like in the first two, the Fisherman now has taken to text messaging! Evidently he's on the same 600 free text message plan I'm on, since he's sending txt msgs out left and right. Of course, I was left wondering the entire movie, when he decided to go buy a cell phone, and how he paid for it, let alone how he dials with a hook for a hand. But maybe I'm overthinking it. After all, the movie's title is a run-on sentence with nine words in its title.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters