Thursday, September 22, 2005

Rainy Day.

Last night Milwaukee got stormed on.

All through the night loud bursts of thunder ravaged my sleep patterns, making it nearly IMPOSSIBLE for me to sleep in anything more than 2 hour increments. (Perhaps it was lack of sleep then, and not anything based in reality, that led to last night’s dream about "Dream Dick Ebert" having a debilitating cocaine habit.) So, when I woke up this morning with maybe 2.5 hours of good sleep under my belt I was very sleepy and just wanted to stay in bed.

But, like the (seemingly) dedicated employee I am, I dragged myself up, fed my fish, and got into the shower.

I have about a 20 minute drive into work, which I don’t usually mind because I love listening to Bob and Tom in the morning. However, as soon as I entered the on ramp I saw that there was a unusually large traffic backup and my positive outlook took a quick turn towards surly. Luckily traffic was moving and as we came around the first bend I caught a glimpse of some flashing lights up ahead-perhaps this was what was causing the delay.

“Oh,” I thought to myself, “there must be some sort of accident-perhaps these are the rescue vehicles.” (Maybe this thought wasn’t SO necessary to transcribe, but I like to have quotes here and there in my stories.)

Anyway, as traffic slowly crept towards the flashing lights I learned that the reason behind the delay was indeed a Gaper’s block (Definition of Gaper’s Block: The phenomenon of a traffic jam due to an accident, exacerbated by motorists “GAPING” at the scene.). But unlike some of the really WORTHWHILE Gaper’s blocks, (i.e. a motorcyclist with a head wound or a car with the front end so smashed in you wondered how the passengers ever got out of the car), the inspiration behind this delay was a couple of guys in tank tops trying to fix some electrical lines.

You could almost hear the sighs of disappointment coming from all the cars around mine.

By the time I got off the highway, I was running a little late so I skipped the morning coffee stop in an effort to be 10 minutes early-or what some of the militant higher ups might refer to as “on time.” Of course, “Supervisor K” won’t be here for another 15 minutes so I don’t know who I am trying to impress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters