Thursday, August 04, 2005

Telephonic Invasion

I have a coworker, who we’ll call “Coworker L.” She is a very sweet girl; however, like most things at this office, I would be remiss is saying her office skills are up to what most would consider…normal. Specifically, she has a VERY loud phone voice; and, because her role at the company requires her to negotiate with business partners from around the world, she spends most of the day yelling something into the phone.

This in itself annoys me. But, like most things, there’s more to this little telephonic disaster.

As if it weren’t bad enough that I can here every word of her side of her phone conversations, I have noticed a disturbing trend in their content that can no longer go ignored by this blog. In attempts to charm her clients, Coworker L takes on what can only be described as “other” voices when speaking to people on the phone.

For example, sometimes her voice becomes extremely loud and squeaky. Other times she will laugh out loud in a booming voice that fills the department. And then there are the times, like today, when she speaks with an affected accent-that to the best of my knowledge, sounds like a person suffering from severe mental retardation.

Now, I don’t mean to be critical here, or (God forbid) step on the toes of political correctness, but what POSSIBLE gain can come from your clients believing you to be mentally retarded? Perhaps I am off base, but if I was a client coming to my company in hopes of striking a major deal, and a person answered the phone sounding like they possessed what would equate to a third grade intellect, I might have pause.

Just a thought.

Maybe a cubicle move won’t be the worst thing after all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters