Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Riddle me this.....and other such nonsense.

My office space is comprised of three rows of cubicles that stretch the entire length of the building and my coworkers and I are arranged according to the departments we work in . So the group that deals with customers is grouped together, as are the marketing team members, and so one and so forth. For now, I am imbedded deep within the accounting team…not because I am on that team, but because they had no other place to put me.

Along the cubicle walls every ten feet or so hangs a small dry erase board which every team can use for whatever purpose they choose. Some teams record statistics and updates of the progress they are making or they record tasks they need to accomplish, others just leave the board blank. Thanks to my influence, accounting's dry erase board has a “riddle of the week” that we all take turns maintaining.

Essentially, each week a work-appropriate riddle is posted on the Monday, giving us the entire week to try and guess its answer. Then, on Friday the ‘Riddler’ posts the answer.

Because we are restricted to strict P.C. office codes, the riddle is usually something very mind-numbing and lame, like:

Q: “Where do you find a dog with no legs?”
A: Right where you left him.

I thought this riddle-game might be something we did for a few weeks-that would just die out as quickly as it had begun. But apparently, my department, nay my company, is SO starved for entertainment that the trand has caught on like wildfire. Every week, team members from all over the company flock to our board to try and solve the riddle while at the same time audibly wishing that their board was as ‘cool’ as ours.

Moving on, a short while after I coined the joke of the week tradition one of my co-workers decided to start posting a ‘quote of the week’ as well. This to me seems much more interesting seeing as there is a wealth of intelligent and witty quotes out there for her to draw from. To my dismay, however, she turned to this large book of quotes she owned comprised of a collection of seemingly non-sensical comments taken from a bunch of no-names and anonymouses. All are work-related I suppose, but accordingly, they are neither inspiring nor thought-provoking.

This week’s quote is a shining example of this point; and, if you can decipher its hidden meaning, for the love of God, please let me know.

“A camel is a horse put together by a committee.” (Anonymous)

Ok……what the HELL does that even MEAN! I asked the woman who has been supplying us with these little mind-turds for her interpretation. She said that it has something to do with there being too many committees that don’t accomplish anything…..yes it all makes perfect sense to me now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters