Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Morning blow out.

I like my apartment, don’t get me wrong.

Living downtown is really fun, and I enjoy inhabiting an older building chocked full of character and personality. Unfortunately, there is one thing that drives me crazy-and anyone who has visited me there will know that I blow fuses left and right.

Should you want to use the hairdryer while warming up the curling iron-think again! And don’t even think about watching TV while microwaving some popcorn!

Why, prey tell, do you think I am always making sandwiches in the dark?! Well you’re right, I can’t cook, but there is also no way I could use the toaster AND keep the fans on-because THAT my friend would be like playing with fire!

So this morning I was trying to blow dry my hair in an attempt to look professional for work. Of course I don’t have air conditioning and even with 5 fans I am still warm in there, so I get ready for work in my underwear. Here I am trying to blow dry my hair in the dark and, like clockwork, I blow a fuse. Quickly, I get into a robe and run out into the hall to the circuit breaker nearby. Then, without a moment to lose, I make it back to my apartment, shut the door, and resume the blow dry. 2 minutes later the thing blows again, and once again I am making the long-traveled path towards the fuse box.

Fast-forward 6 minutes, as the fuse blows for the 7th time in 12 minutes. I am sick of putting on the robe, because, you know what! I am hot. So I think to myself: “Self, I haven’t seen or heard any of my neighbors, it will be ok just to make a quick run in nothing but a towel and my skivvies. “

Everything was going perfectly as planned as I made my way to the circuit box, flipped the switch and headed home…and it was at that fated moment, that one of my neighbors opens her apartment door and lets a long line of her kids and teenaged nephews flood into the hall.

“Hello,” I said-all the while trying desperately to hold onto the towel and my dignity.

“HI!” they all yelled in response.

“Ok then,” I said running quickly down the hall and safely into the confines of my character-filled apartment.

My hair looks better in a pony-tail anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters