Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Fireworks before and after the 4th.

For most Americans the Forth of July weekend is one filled with food, fireworks and, of course, festivities! In Wisconsin, this is not just a tradition, but a way of life.

On Friday night, I met up with my good friend Hope Valentine and some of her friends from college and we hit up the Hi-Hat, a bar in Milwaukee’s downtown. While there, I happened to notice a good looking gentleman who also happened to be around 8-feet tall. Fueled by booze and an adventurous spirit, I struck up a conversation with him that lasted well into the night. I learned that he is a chemical engineer who is writing a play. Because our conversation seemed to progress without any awkward pauses-which like, never happens, I gave him my number. We shall see.

Saturday I hung around with the family and then met Moody St. Clair out for a few drinks to celebrate her boyfriend’s birthday. Her boyfriend, Security Steve is a true doll. Unfortunately, a few of his friends are real slime balls, so I left that bunch to meet up with Hope Valentine and her friends at another bar across town.

Sunday called for some major rallying. After returning to my folk’s house to do some laundry I headed back downtown to meet Hope and the gals at the park for some BBQ’n and drinking. Then, we headed down to Summerfest to catch Howie Day on one of the free stages. At 7PM most of the seats were taken so I was on bench patrol trying to grab up a place to sit. Making my way through the aisles I was thrilled to see a nice patch of bleacher so I quickly looked up to ask the guys sitting there if the seats were taken and came face to face with the Little Lawyer. L.L. was a nice, smart guy I pseudo-dated a while back. Unfortunately for me, and L.L., the chemistry was just not there. Plus he was WAY too tiny and a really close talker.

Maybe that whole reunion-thing would not have had to be SO awkward-had things with L.L. not ended so badly. Usually, I am really good at being forthcoming with a guy and will break things up with him honorably and in person. With L.L. I just didn’t feel like getting into it, so I took the low ground (frequented by the likes of Rico Suave) and just stopped returning his calls. This being our first meeting since the cease call, I thought I handled it all very well…..I acted like nothing happened, asked him to hold the seats and then ran away (subtly of course).

I didn’t see him after that. Partially because it got dark…. and partially because he is so small he just got lost in the crowds.

Either way, when I came out of the concert I had about a million and a half calls on my phone from an old friend……Captain No-Skills. I met up with him at a bar and we chatted the night away. Basically, I used that time to remind him why I spend most of our time together annoyed and that there is no way we will ever again be anything other than JUST friends. We played the “no you call me” song and dance before saying our goodbyes and that was that.

Monday night I drove back up to the ‘Quon to see my family. I watched TV, ate cookies, and then watched some mad fireworks.

Overall a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters