Thursday, June 09, 2005

When asking out a boy, it helps to be a little drunk.

Last night I decided to follow through on Moody's (and anyone else that has been willing to listen to me talk about this crush) dare and ask out Rico Suave.

After I chickened out last night, I knew it would be no easy task-and consequently was dreading it all day long. Per my usual schedule, I DILIGENTLY worked all day long and then drove over to the YMCA for some sweatin' near the oldies.

As I drove home a team of unruly butterflies began to do an evil dance in the pit of my stomach....and I tried to think of ANYthing else but the task at hand. Luckily Moody gave me a call asking to meet her and our handsome friend "007" out for a few cocktails.

Once I got home I moved fast, deliberately avoiding eye contact with Rico, who was sitting on the store's front stoop with his Sidekick #1. Quickly, I showered and slapped on some blush and lipgloss. I didn't want to look like I was trying to hard, but I still wanted to show a little cleavage, so I settled on a slightly low cut black top from the Gap. I ran to my window for some last minute surveillance and saw that the guys had not moved from their seats, but were now talking to a scraggly blond chick with a hippy top and dreadlocks. I couldn't see her face, but she was thin- so the panic that I had managed to suppress during my shower once again welled up in my mind-immediately followed by crippling self-doubt.

"Oh well," I thought to myself, "if he's interested in a skinny blond chick with dreads-there is NO way I am his type. I might as well just call it a night."

Luckily, my hard-to-reach friend "New York Minute" chose that very moment to call, and quickly soothed away the panic attack. After all-he did ask if I had a boyfriend! He must be interested... right?

After I got off the phone I noticed my hands were shaking, so I turned to an old friend for support, "Michelob Ultra." After two bottles and a sloppily made Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich I decided that the time for action had arrived and I HAD to make my move. I quickly brushed my teeth, popped in a breath mint and braced myself for the moment of truth.

There is usually someone working with him in the store so I had prepared myself to have to ask Rico out in front of someone else. Luckily, Sidekick #1 was stocking the cooler across the store. So right there came a small sigh of relief. Rico was behind the counter helping an old woman, so thinking quickly I ran to the cooler, gave a friendly nod to Sidekick #1, and grabbed a bottle of water to use as a clever "prop" (as my friends in the theatre world might say). Steadily I made my way to the register, my eyes planted firmly on the security mirrors above my head.

Because I haven't done this sort of thing in a while, I was surprised to find I was having trouble breathing...and swallowing. So I made a note to myself to do so, and WHATEVER happened NOT to give him any of my usual deer-in-headlights reactions. I continued to remind myself that I was brave and there was nothing to it....but of course when it was my turn at the register all that went out the window.

Heavily I placed the water bottle on the counter, suavely mumbling, "Here."

I am fairly certain he quoted me a price, because I vaguely remember fumbling into my purse and handing him some crumpled currency. There was a pause, and then as steadily as I could I heard myself utter, "Hey.....so would you want to go get a coffee or something to eat with me sometime?"

Almost immediately he broke into a smile and exclaimed, "Oh my god, I did not expect you to ask me that right now. Wow! Way to go, you totally surprised me there. You must have been nervous, I can tell."

The best I could come up with there was, "Ah, no, I am fine."

Then he said, "Hey, I knew you were probably like that, going for what you want. That never happens, someone just coming right out and asking like that. Let me give you a hug."

So he hugged me. And since I still hadn't gotten an answer, I started to panic and awkwardly said, "Ok."

After the hug, he returned to his post behind the register and said, "Sure anytime, anywhere. Just let me know!"

Since I had meticulously planned this out, I said, "Well, I will tell you what. I know you're working now, so I will give you my number and when you get a chance, just give me a call."

As I quickly scribbled my number onto a slightly used matchbook, he did the same on a business card for the store. Then, after the exchange, I quickly-but smoothly, made my exit and casually said, "Well, have a good night. Give me a call."

Between you and me, I can't really recall the exact events or how they really played out. In fact, only minutes later I completely forgot to include the hug in my account to Moody and 007! I think my brain just shut down from the adrenaline rush, which is probably part of the reason why during my time in the store, my facial expression was locked into what I would imagine appeared to be an awkward smile mixed with a hint of confidence. To be honest, I knew if for ONE second I relaxed, my hands would start shaking and I might run out of the store.

So there you go. I asked out Rico Suave, and he said yes! Talk about a rush of blood to the head.

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see that you're cheating on Miller Lite with Michelob Ultra (belch), but congratulations for growing some female huevos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material copyright of Little Miss Westchester...and the voices in her head.
generated by sloganizer.net
free web counters